We had the privilege to interview author Lisa Anderson, host of the national radio program and podcast The Boundless Show, about her new ebook, The Dating Manifesto: A Drama-Free Plan for Pursuing Marriage with Purpose.
Get The Dating Manifesto today—it’s on sale for $2.99 through October 13!
All month long, keep up with Vyrso’s author recommendation blog series, where you can read exclusive interviews with Christian authors and get great recommendations on ebooks that have impacted their walk with Christ.
Lisa, you are involved with Boundless and you work as director of Young Adults for Focus on the Family. Tell us a little bit about your passions and ultimately how you ventured on your path to success?
My background is in journalism and media relations; for 11 years I was director of our public relations efforts at Focus on the Family. But in the midst of that, I got to know the Boundless.org team, and before long, they were asking me to host a new podcast they were starting because —true story—”you’re single and like to talk.”
My involvement with Boundless revolutionized my view on marriage, dating, and thriving as a single adult.
As you’ve matured in your faith, which specific authors and books have been life-changing as you have grown in your faith?
As a young girl, missionary biographies had a huge impact on me. They taught me that God is real and active in all corners of the world. [Click to Tweet!]
I’ve become a little more Reformed in my theology (maybe a lot more) thanks to books like:
- The Gospel for Real Life by Jerry Bridges
- Desiring God and Seeing and Savoring Jesus Christ by John Piper
- Because He Loves Me by Elyse Fitzpatrick.
A Praying Life by Paul Miller made me want to pray, and showed me how.
Unoffendable showed me how to get relationally healthy and love others well.
I am a huge fan of Beth Moore‘s Bible studies. I love that they have homework which keeps me in God’s Word throughout the week, and her passion for Jesus reminds me to never be ashamed of the Gospel and never be afraid to get excited about my faith.
Tell us a little bit about your new release, The Dating Manifesto, and what inspired you to write it.
I wasn’t sure I would write it at first, because I wasn’t convinced I had anything new to say on the subject.
But then I realized that most of the dating/singleness books out there are written by married people looking back on that season of their lives. I wanted to write as someone still in the trenches—still struggling, still waiting, but still trusting God through it all.
I was tired of all the feel-good, “Jesus is all you need” platitudes that we singles were being given; I wanted the truth told straight with a heavy dose of encouragement. [Click to Tweet!]
What are three main challenges that you give to singles looking for that special someone?
1. Date with a purpose in mind. Too many singles are going on pizza dates for months and years on end without expecting anything from a relationship.
2. Make sure you’re in a position to date and marry well. This means dealing with baggage from your upbringing or past relationships. It means getting counseling if you need it. It means getting a job, dealing with crippling debt, taking ownership of your own faults and insecurities, and breaking bad relationship patterns.
3. Approach dating realistically. You are not looking for perfection or the answer to your 50-point list of “must-haves.” You’re looking for a flawed person who is humble, teachable, growing and loves Jesus with his or her whole heart; everything else is negotiable.
Read Lisa Anderson’s The Dating Manifesto: A Drama-Free Plan for Pursuing Marriage with Purpose on Vyrso today!
All month long, read exclusive interviews with Christian authors and get great recommendations. Don’t miss a post in this series—subscribe to Vyrso’s RSS feed, follow Vyrso on Twitter, and like Vyrso on Facebook!
We had the privilege to interview author Lisa Anderson, host of the national radio program and podcast The Boundless Show, about her new ebook, The Dating Manifesto: A Drama-Free Plan for Pursuing Marriage with Purpose. Get The Dating Manifesto today—it’s on sale for $2.99 through October 13! All month long, keep up with Vyrso’s author recommendation blog series, where you can read exclusive interviews […]